Mangazina di Rei

The Mangazina di Rei, which is also known as The Kings Storehouse was used to store crops from the annual harvest. African Slaves, who were brought to the island to work, lived in Rincon and replenished their provisions from the Storehouse on weekends before the 12-mile (19 km) trek to the salt pans and plantations for another week of work. A wonderful piece of history, this stone structure is the second-oldest stone building on the island and was constructed in circa 1810-1824.